Sunday 20 January 2008

A Midsummer Night's Dream



What a play! I watched Tim Supple's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' last time at Tolly, I seriously didn't think I'd be lucky enough to watch it again. As I said, studying in JUDE has its advantages.
And what advantages! I was bowled over, completely bowled over. The vibrant colours, the effortless dialogue delivery, the sheer amount of grace with which the actors moved- I could go on and on. It isn't easy to make a Shakespeare play in Indian languages- it's quite a big risk to take, in fact. But Tim Supple has pulled it off, and how!
Joy Fernandes, I think, stole the show, with his antics. Puck was good as well, darting about the stage, I loved the rope scene the best. Titania's hair- I'd die for it. And her part was brilliant, hanging suspended in the red silk above the stage for quite a while. I loved the play, every bit of it. Somehow, I think Tolly was a better location- the open air and the breeze really did make it A Midsummer Night's Dream, but Kala Mandir was good too- our attention was more concentrated on the stage.
I don't want to watch it anymore though- you know what they say- too much of a good thing spoils it.
But kudos to Tim Supple, for making a play that's sentimental, funny, erotic and mischievous!

No comments: