Sunday 9 September 2007

On the closing of the cover of 'David Copperfield'

Finished the 800-plus page book, "David Copperfield" today.
I highlight below my conclusions- with all due respect to Mr. Dickens...
  1. David Copperfield was a wimp of the highest order. Except when he gathered his guts and slapped Uriah Heep, that is.
  2. Dora- the BIGGEST nyakachundi in English literature I have EVER come across!
  3. Mr. Dick- the only interesting character to me.
  4. David should have ended up with Emily in the first place, instead of falling for an idiot like Dora. I mean, she couldn't even cook!
  5. Uriah Heep- sounds to me like an amalgamation of Severus Snape and Lord Voldemort.
  6. The last chapter is VERY well written!
  7. I loved the part where Copperfield's aunt told Heep to get on with what he was saying, and not make writhing gestures. Most hilarious!
  8. Found the Micawber sub-plot very boring, somehow.
  9. Hugh Grant would have been PERFECT for the role of Mr. Dick!
  10. On the whole, a pretty good book. I started off slightly biased, because I'm not too fond of classics. Yet I found I liked it, barring the negative conclusions.

2 comments:

Bone said...

haha! i won't even touch david copperfield. not even sparknotes. school'e rapid reader chhilo abridged version, i just about survived it. let my bias remain!

Astraeus said...

nyakachundi

i like this word

dickens very seldom had happy endings orendings that the readers would have wanted remember great expectations and Pip & estella's ending