Saturday 12 July 2008

An update.

Firstly, I am celebrating my new Unlimited Internet connection. My mom is sick and tired of me exceeding the Broadband Bandwidth limit, so she thought this would be a better option. Now I can download music and movies to my heart's content! Woohoo! Watch out Torrent, here I come!
College has reopened, and thank God for that. It's so much fun being back. Sitting on the Ledge, hanging around near Worldview, laughing about random things, JUDE is the life! This semester will be tough, though- with Old and Middle English and Renaissance Literature hanging over our heads. *pulls hair out in nervousness*
Have watched quite a few movies lately.
First came The Prestige. A film about two magicians in turn-of-the-century London, who keep trying to outdo each other, but at the cost of what...?
It's a brilliant movie. I am just in love with the line "Are you watching closely?" (I actually kept it as my Gtalk status display for a few days!) Also, I am usually a Jackman fan, but I have to say, as much as Jackman was good in this movie, it was Bale who stole the show. I've never particularly liked Bale, but The Prestige has completely changed my opinion! He was mind-blowing. This movie is a *must-watch*. Definitely one of the best films I've seen in quite a while.
Next up, is The Illusionist. Also a movie about magic, starring Edward Norton. IIf you compare it with The Prestige, well- it's nowhere close. But on its own, it's a pretty decent movie. Edward Norton's acting is top-notch, he gives a silent efficiency to his role as Eisenheim. Jessica Biel is rather good as well.
And after these, I watched P.S. I Love You. (Special thanks to Shreya). Beautiful movie. What is love? Is it compromise? Is it a connection? Is it making grief easier? Is it all of these things?
The movie explains how love can cross all kinds of boundaries. It's not your typically cheesy romantic stuff. Gerard Butler is fantastic, great acting combined with fantastic eye-candy looks. (His Irish accent does get a bit garbled at times, though.) Hilary Swank is great as well.
This made for a good watch. Left me feeling all warm and fuzzy.
And lastly, I watched Love Actually. Of course, this one I've seen before. It's one of my all-time favourites. This is a movie you can watch over and again, and never get tired of. You can watch it with friends, you can watch it alone, or you can cuddle up with that special someone and enjoy it. Anything goes. From Hugh Grant's dance down the stairs to Keira Knightley's wedding video, from Colin Firth's disastrous debacles with his Portuguese help to Liam Neeson's love advice to his stepson, from Emma Thompson's wonderful acting to Rowan Atkinson's fabulous guest appearance- this movie tops just about everything else.
Onto the next thing, I have chanced across the recipe for Baked Alaska. I shall be trying it out soon, when Guppy and Divya come to visit next week.
Also, Ma is leaving for a week's trip to London on Monday. I shall have the house to myself. Whayhey! *rolls about in glee* I have told her to get me back bulls-eyes.
I am currently downloading songs from P.S. I Love You, and the movie Bridget Jones' Diary.
My throat feels sore, and my voice is taking on a hoarse-yet-shrill tone. Waah!
Tomorrow is lazy Sunday. My favourite day of the week.
That's more or less the update for now. See you all soon!

16 comments:

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

love actually. must watch. aaargh.

do you habh?

Rhea Silvia said...

want the prestige. want. bring cd on monday, woman. *glares*

also, ohgodohgodohgod Old English. Sahoo. And my optionals prof. is out cold.

rukmini said...

The Prestige is quite fascinating.

Magically Bored said...

@ Doubletake, Doublethink: Yes, I have it. Haven't you seen it before??

@ Rhea Silvia: There is a CD with Rudrani, which has The Prestige and a couple of others. Take it from her.

@ Rukmini: Indeed, it is.

Ephemera said...

Nice reviews.
'The Prestige'has everything to make it a timeless watch.And something interesting about the movie is its accuraccy with physics.In very simple words there exists a theory(Quantam Electrodynamics) hypothesized by Tesla and further worked upon by Maxwell and Feynman that says that man can be caught in multiple time frames.If two such time frames are intersected then the same person can co-exist as different individuals in a particular time frame.
One can watch 'If only' and 'The Holiday' as well.Liked them.

AbhijanB said...

that was not at all a long comment! now ive forgotten what the post was about :P

SPIRITed! said...

I saw the ending of The Prestige. Creepy, to say the least.

storyteller said...

Seems like you are having a lot of fun! :P

Magically Bored said...

@ Dream Baron: That sounds interesting, and thanks for the recommendations- will get hold of them.

@ Joe BR: Must you *always* have something to say? :P

@ Spirited!: Creepy, yes, but mindblowing.

@ S: Yup, a lot of thanks to you! :)

Anonymous said...

bottoms up to the prestige ;)....an awesome movie....christian bale is really someone to look out for....!!

AbhijanB said...

@tuna
talk about late realisation! obviously!! Duh!

@lady of the blah
my bottoms up to you for the comment, thats exactly how i feel about the film, it aint good, its GENIUS!

Magically Bored said...

@ The Lady Of Blah: Yes, absolutely, I couldn't agree more! I am going to hunt down all of Bale's movies and watch them now. :P

AbhijanB said...

hunting Bale down might be an even better idea.

Deboleena said...

The Prestige was magnificently crazy! :P And yes, I did watch Clockwork Orange and it terrified me. Brilliant movie! -- Deboleena

PS: Thanks for reading my poem :)

Deboleena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deboleena said...

oh yes, love actually is sweet too!