Thursday 31 December 2009

2010.

The year is finally over. In many ways, it hasn't been quite the best. Work-wise, it's been reasonably decent, but then I think I could have done lots more. Study-wise, the less said the better. Emotion-wise, very topsy-turvy, though I think the last few months have made me stronger and more tough.
But leaving all that aside, 2010 saw my brother getting married, Ma doing really well business-wise, and me making a lot of decisions that I plan to stick to.

Just a few hours to go for it to be officially the New Year, and while I'm not big on resolutions, I plan to make this year count. 2009 has drifted by rather vaguely, I don't have much to show for it (not as much as I'd like to, anyway) - and all that is going to change come 2010.
But let's ALL make 2010 count.
Let's save the environment. Avoid plastic like the plague. Don't litter, don't waste water or electricity. Try to go vegetarian at least 2-3 days out of the week.
Read. Books, magazines, blogs - whatever. One drop of ink can make a million think. There's nothing quite like the written word to open up your eyes.
Bring about change. If you see an animal or a child (or anyone, for that matter) being mistreated, stand up for it/him/her. Try to feed the animals in your locality, and sterilise them if possible. If you have clothes/stationery you don't need, give it away - to orphanages, to the children of your domestic help. Visit old age homes, spend some time with the past generation who have nothing to look forward to - brighten up their day. Aim to make this a better world.
It's easy to be a cynic, or an armchair revolutionary, or to be dismissive and say, "Nothing to be done!" It's more difficult to actually go out there and make a difference - and that's what 2010 should be about. Making a difference.
Here's to a happy, healthy, prosperous and productive 2010. Happy New Year to all of you.
Cheers!

3 comments:

SPIRITed! said...

A very happy New Year to you too!

I intend to make this year count as well; I've had enough of being an armchair revolutionary.

Loved the post :D

storyteller said...

:) sounds nice!

Indranil said...

Why be a vegetarian 2-3 days of the week? O_o

..happy new year, btw.