Saturday 25 June 2011

Day 22: Favourite Book I Own

I have issues with this part of the tag - how can I have a favourite book I own? Shouldn't mostly ALL the books I own be favourites - simply because they all belong to me? And otherwise why would I have bought them in the first place?
But glossing over that, because I do have to fill in this part, I suppose my answer would be Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. It was the first Christie I read, on my father's recommendation - I was about 12-13 years old at the time, and I still remember his words: "You're too young for Christie's other novels, but this one would be great to start you off."
And it genuinely scared me. Part-mystery, part-thriller, and part-horror (yes, almost!), I spent an uncomfortably sleepless night. Brilliantly written, keeps you on the edge, and the ending is a slap in the face for first-time readers. 
Even now, when I read the book, I still get tingles down my spine, that's how good the book is!

P.S.- I'm not exactly sure why I would count this as the favourite book I own. Probably because after this, I went on to read many more Christie novels, yet I still count this as a favourite, and also probably because of the emotional connection to my father.

No comments: