Friday 8 July 2011

Day 26: A Book That Changed My Opinion About Something

 
I've held off from this part of the tag for some days now (as you can well see) because for the longest time, I couldn't think of an answer. I have read some wonderful books, yes, but nothing that changed my opinion of anything as such. Some time back, it just struck me that a suitable answer for this would be Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita.
Before reading this, I was a little iffy about picking it up in the first place - the very idea of a grown man embarking on an affair with a young barely teenage girl repulsed me. I thought to myself that maybe I was better off not reading this - it was sure to be absolutely disgusting. However, a few years later, I did read it and I liked it - Nabokov's writing is very poetic and the book, although disturbing, is not icky in the sense that you expect a book concerning a paedophilic relationship to be. For all those who can stomach it, Lolita is a wonderful read - something that changed my opinion of it once I'd finished with the last page.

6 comments:

Mohit said...

This I've wanted to read for so long :( I think Coetzee's Disgrace is on a similar issue, in case you're interested.

Magically Bored said...

Haven't read anything by Coetzee except Foe. Will give it a try. Do read Lolita, though.

Pooja said...

I haven't read Lolita for the same reason...maybe now I will. Did watch the movie, very watered down of course. Time I manned up and read it, have heard such great things about this book.

Magically Bored said...

@ Pooja: Which version did you watch? The Kubrick one? That one is pretty good. There is another, newer version, I think - not sure who the director is. But do read the book, it's lovely.

Priyanka said...

One of my favourite books ever. Glad to see it here =)

Magically Bored said...

Mine too. :)